Monday, September 13, 2010

baptism

I am sort of confused about baptism and what it means. I was baptized when I was an infant because my parents were Catholic. Now that I'm going to a Bible church and trying to figure out what it really means to be "Christian" I feel like I need to be baptized again. BUT I'm scared of it. I feel like such a dork for saying that, but I'm scared to be dunked into a tub. In front of a whole bunch of people. I don't think that's the way you're supposed to feel about it, I think you're supposed to be happy, joyful, excited at the idea of being "reborn". Is that what it is? I'll be taking a class beginning at the end of this month that will hopefully answer my questions. It's at church, it's for people who have never gone to church or are coming back or are just wanting to learn more, I guess.

A few of the blogs I read have mentioned an event called DNOW (Discipleship Now) that happened over the weekend, and they talk about kids being baptized at the end of it. Is being baptized something you do after just attending a weekend thing about church? To me it seems like it is something you do after really thinking and praying on it...but maybe I'm wrong? It just seems like it's not something you do on a whim or when you're excited because you're with a group of friends. Like "they're doing it, i want to too!" type of thing.

Another crazy wrench to throw in there is I want to have the kids dedicated. My church does it in groups so I don't really know when it'll happen, but if they wanted me to do it next weekend that'd be fine. BUT...should I be baptized again first? Am I not a true member of the church until I've been baptized, and is it hypocritical for me to have the kids dedicated if I'm not baptized again first?

1 comment:

  1. Your church might believe different but, we just had Baptism Day at my church last Sunday. I believe that Baptism is publicly announcing that you've accepted Christ as your personal Saviour. So if you haven't done that, then you shouldn't get Baptized yet.

    But if you HAVE, then go for it! You should ! I should have gotten Baptized last week, but I'm a chicken too. ;p I wanted to see how they did it first.. lol Next time I will.

    The kids at DNOW probably got saved there and that's why they got Baptized right away. They go hand in hand really. I think it's awesome that you're getting into church n' stuff. Your class will probably explain things much better than I could.. lol I still consider myself a baby in the Faith. I take an adult class on Wednesday nights and really enjoy it. Learning a lot.

    Just one year after being saved again my life has changed sooo much. He really does move mountains!!

    Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, dedication is something you'd do after you are an official member of the church. I always love those.. it's so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete